Monday, April 2, 2018

I Tried A DIY Haircare Routine For Pastel HairBeauty With MiRefinery29



Hey guys, its Mi-Anne,
and this is Beauty with Mi. I have always been interested in DIY,
or Do It Yourself, beauty. I started getting into it,
I wanna say, in High School, and last year I did an entire skincare routine from scratch, and it
got me thinking, I should try to do this, but for hair. So, I did.

I interviewed NiKita Wilson,
she is an amazing cosmetic chemist here in the tri-state area, and she taught me how to make my own shampoo, my own conditioner,
my own hair mask, and my own dry shampoo. Hey guys, so I am here
with NiKita Wilson Hello, hello, hello! We go way back, Ive interviewed her
for so many stories before, her brain is full of beauty knowledge, so I thought shed be perfect
to help me concoct my DIY haircare routine. Im scared because my
hair is color treated, and the thought of making
something for my hair is really daunting. The thing about DIY is
everything is experimental.

Always, always, always,
always please, as a scientist, write down
what you have done because if you find that perfect formula and you dont remember
what you did, you are going to be so mad at yourself. Lets go to the regular shampoo. Okay. That seems difficult.

For your hair, I would probably say
use apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is a great
base for shampoo, because its clarifying, adds shine, and wont damage or alter my
color treated hair. I mixed 3 tablespoons of
apple cider vinegar, with 3 tablespoons of
glycerin for hydration, before adding 1 teaspoon
of flaxseed oil, which according to NiKita
helps seal the cuticle and moisturize the hair. If you have really fine hair, skip the oil, because its
only gonna way it down.

If you have really thick, course hair, then you want the oil, because
you want that extra moisturization. For conditioner, you want something thats
gonna draw moisture in, our humectant, something like glycerin, and then
you also want to seal it in. For conditioner, I mixed
1 teaspoon of water with 3 tablespoons of
glycerin to create a base. Then I added a bit of
flaxseed oil and honey to the mixture to hydrate my hair.

Well honey also acts like
kind of as a humectant, and it also draws moisture to the hair. Very sticky, you dont wanna use a lot of it. Moving on to mask. Oils and butters kinda will
be your mask base.

NiKita suggested I use a mixture of shea butter and cocoa butter
as a base for my mask. I used 2 tablespoons of each, melted them in the microwave at
10 second intervals, and mixed glycerin and honey
into the formula for extra hydration. So, I also have vitamin E here. Vitamin E is very good
as an antioxidant.

One we spoke about antioxidants
protecting color, because were using butters and oils vitamin E is actually also very good for protecting the actual
product itself. I added 4 drops of the oil
into my mixture, mixed it up, and I was good to go. If you also wanted to make
it a special treatment, right before you put it into your hair, take a little scoop of your mask, take a teaspoon of mayonnaise, now you have an
intensive protein treatment. Oh, because the protein
from the eggs.

Exactly. Look at you, moisturizing. Yes. Cant waste this precious butter.

I know. The benefit of a dry shampoo is it goes onto your scalp and
the roots of the hair and it absorbs oil. So, I would start with our
tapioca starch. Mix equal parts rice starch
and tapioca starch in a bowl.

On its most basic level this concoction will do its job
to keep your hair feeling fresh. But if you want to go the extra mile, add a few drops of tea tree oil
and peppermint oil to the mixture. Tea tree oil is antibacterial, and peppermint oil will give it
a refreshing scent. So that was actually really easy.

Its easy. Dry shampoos, as complicated
as they may seem are the most simple that were
gonna talk about today. Thank you so much. Thank you, this was fun.

Ill let you know how it goes. Its been a week of using products in my hair that these two hands have made. How did I feel about this experiment? I would say it was a good 50/50 split
in terms of the products. So, this is my hair air-dried.

My hair is actually a little
bit more wavy than it normally is, and I think it
is because of the shampoo and conditioner Ive been using. So, Ive been using this shampoo, which is the apple cider
vinegar based shampoo, and this is the one product that
I had a lot of difficulty with. Doesnt smell great. Oof.

Its very liquidly, Im just gonna put
it in straight. It was just going straight from my scalp and into my eyes, and it hurt so much. Its in my eyes! It made my hair feel really
clean, really nice. My boyfriend Colin did
say that it quote reeked.

What? It reeks dude. Then I rinsed it out, and he said you couldnt
smell it anymore. So To be completely honest I think this is the one item, out of everything that I used this week, that I probably wouldnt use again,
just because it is such a pain to use. Literally.

Moving along to the conditioner. Most conditioners feel very smooth
and creamy in the hair, this one doesnt really. It kinda feels like youre putting like
a gel in your hair almost. But my hair does feel
normal, soft, good.

I quite liked it. The hair mask. So, I really enjoyed this hair mask. I did mix it with a spoonful of mayonnaise, like NiKita said for protein.

The idea of mixing this
mask with mayonnaise and then putting it into
my hair was a little disgusting at first. But once its mixed together,
when its in your hair, you dont really notice it. It doesnt feel as smooth
as a normal hair mask. Because I was using melted butters, it did have a little bit
of a grainy texture.

And last but not least, the dry shampoo. So, my hair is quite dry, because its color treated,
so I dont need to wash my hair very often. I wash my hair I think twice this week and then I used dry shampoo a
couple of times in between. I did have to really rub it into my hair to get the white powder
to disperse through my roots.

If you have brown or black hair you could mix a little
bit of cocoa powder into the formula so its
not so stark white. It absorbs oil, it smells good because I put the tea tree oil
and the peppermint in it. So, I really like this I think Im definitely
gonna keep using it. Thats it! I think Im definitely gonna use up
the mask, just because theres
only a little bit left, and I did kinda like the way it
made my hair feel.

I did really enjoy the conditioner, and I do think that this might
have been the product that was making my hair curl a bit. I dont think Im gonna keep using the
shampoo though. Youve seen the clips. Its in my eyes! I hope that you guys enjoyed watching this video, I hope you guys learned something.

Please let me know if you make
any of these recipes down below in the comments, and if there are any other DIY recipes that you love or that you recommend, please let me know as well, and I will see you guys next week. Bye! Thanks so much for watching guys, let me know what you want to
see next on Beauty with Mi in the comments down below, and click here to subscribe
to Refinery29, click here to watch another video, and follow me on Instagram
@mianne.Chan so we can hang out there too. Bye!.

I Tried A DIY Haircare Routine For Pastel HairBeauty With MiRefinery29

No comments:

Post a Comment