Thursday, June 7, 2018

Six setups for beauty lighting



I'm Rossella Vanon and I'm a fashion
and beauty photographer. Today we are shooting a beauty story
inspired by pastel colors. What I want to achieve is images with
a soft and feminine feel where elements like hair and make-up
are captured to perfection. I also want to make sure that
the lighting is consistent from shot to shot and then the colors
are all in harmony with one another.

Color and light are major components
of my photography. On shoots like this it's important for me to
choose light units that provide a consistent color temperature
throughout the shoot. Profoto D2 will be my go-to light on this project. I want to use
light units that I know I can rely on a hundred percent so that I can
concentrate on the creative side of my shoot.

Today I've decided to give myself a
little challenge and change the lighting setups six times. The challenge here is to keep
the lighting consistent from shot to shot in softness and mood even though
the setups are actually changing. I will be using a selection of Softboxes of
different sizes and shapes and a Beauty Dish. I've chosen these tools as they provide
an overall soft and pearly light that is perfect to announce the feminine
mood I want to achieve.

I've mostly position the main light around 30 to 45 degrees around the subject and use other light units as fill for
shadows to light a background or just create an accent on the hair
or the models cheek. Profoto Softboxes are one of my favorite
Light Shaping Tools. I love how many sizes and shapes
there are to choose from and how extremely
versatile they are. By using the Profoto D2 with
their fast recycling time and intuitive interface...Even changing
lighting setup six times was quick and
straightforward.

With light we have the incredible power to tell a million different stories and evoke a
million different feelings in the viewer. Choosing light shaping tools
that suit who you are as an artist will enable you to unlock this
magic and create powerful images with your own signature style..

Six setups for beauty lighting

No comments:

Post a Comment